Oh how quickly the year is passing! A friend of mine recently blogged about how when you have children, the days are long but the years are short. That's proving to be very, very true! We're just a mere 6 weeks away from Harrison's first birthday. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around that. It seems like just yesterday that I had him. My labor was easy and peaceful. His delivery was relaxed and calm. He is all of those things -- easy, peaceful, relaxed and calm. Such a wonderful baby boy! And a year has passed already? Incredible. I look forward to all of the years the future brings but it is going to be very bittersweet to put this year behind us.
| Our baby boys! |
Speaking of birthdays, I recently celebrated a big one... 30! Earlier this year, I panicked a little bit. 30, already? I remember being a little girl, about 8 years old, and seeing a show called Thirtysomething. I remember thinking that those people were SO old. And now look at me. 30! Yeah, so I wasn't super pleased as the year wore on and my birthday inched closer. And then it hit me. What do I have to be sad about? 30 is amazing. We've lost friends to war. I've lost friends to cancer. I have a beautiful cousin whose life was taken from her absurdly before her time. What the heck is so scary about 30? 30 is a gift. It's beautiful. It's amazing. And I couldn't be happier! I really, really, really could not ask for more. I am lucky. So happy 30th birthday to me! I hope to celebrate many, many more birthdays and I promise that I'll be excited for each and every one no matter what the age. Because somewhere out there, closer than you think, is someone who wishes for nothing more than to be so lucky to hit your impending age. Think of that your next birthday -- it really is humbling. If the 8 year old in me thinks I'm old, that's okay. The 30 year old in me is thrilled. The 30 year old in me is thriving. (That one is for you, Katy!)
Speaking of superness, check out my littlest superhero:Isn't he darling?
Well, this little darling was starting to sport a sweaty head again. His hair was getting really long. The rate at which his hair grows is incredible. He has a thick, gorgeous head of hair which I will remind him to thank me for someday. It's a blessing and a curse, people. Anyway, his hair needed a trim again, so I decided to be as brave as my thirty year old self could muster and take Harrison in for his second haircut.
All was well at first. Harrison was a total pro, not flinching in the least while they chopped off his locks. Then they busted out the buzzer, which they didn't use the first time around.
It was really all downhill from there. Well, Harrison's version of downhill is actually very mild.
He was upset, but tolerant. Yes, that's me at the right of the picture. No, I am not strangling him.
He resigned himself to the haircut and just a couple of minutes later, we were all done. Are you hoping for an after picture? Well the suspense is going to have to keep building because my phone's battery literally just died on me, so I can't transfer a picture. Terrible, I know. Bust trust me, he looks super handsome with his little buzzcut. And it's amazing how golden-haired he is!
So those are the updates for Harrison and me. Benjamin is doing well! He is almost done with his first semester of grad school and let me just brag for a second. He is rocking this whole thing. Caroline is such a little grown-up. She recently declared that she is going to marry her good friend Tommy. So far she wants a backyard wedding wearing a white dress. And she wants me to bake bunny shaped muffins. I'm going to remind her of that in a quarter century. "Caroline, I know you want Vera Wang and Wolfgang Puck and the Hotel Del Coronado but I made a promise to you 25 years ago and that was for bunny shaped muffins. I don't break promises."
Happy November, everyone! I hope this entry finds you thrilled and thriving. :)
3 comments:
Oh Harrison! What a brave little guy! Maybe dad will have to take him in next time for father-son haircuts and he can see how the big boys do it. :) I love Caroline's wedding plans, I'm sure Tommy would be pleased with her ideas. :)
You've got to be kidding me that your baby boy is almost 1 yr!!! Time really does fly. And happy birthday to you! I didn't know you turned the big 3-0. Welcome to the thirties, we're glad to have you! :)
You are just the sweetest little thirty year old in the whole wide world! You have such a joy for life and and the sweetest way of expressing how sweet and special those everday cherished moments are. I love you so much sweet Angel!
Post a Comment