Monday, December 7, 2009

Santa in Guam!

Katy, Caroline & Santa!
(Remember, clicking on the picture enlarges it!)
Caroline was not a big fan of Santa and made Katy stay with her in the picture. And yes, that's a teddy bear tattoo on Caroline's arm. Kids these days! Oh, and can you believe that the squadron flew Santa in on one of the helicopters?! SO COOL!

Just as a refresher, here's Caroline with Santa last year. As you can see, Caroline has grown a ton and Mrs. Claus made Santa a much nicer suit for this year.


Back to saturday's festivities though! Here is HSC-25 flying Santa in. I bet the reindeer really appreciated the break, especially in the Guam heat!




Here are Santa's pilots!

And last, here's Mrs. Claus. Is it just me or does anyone else think Santa traded the original Mrs. Claus out with a much younger, prettier version?!


I was so excited to take Caroline to the squadron's Christmas party for the children, but that didn't work out. (More on that later. I will be there next year no matter what!) But Caroline and Katy got to go due to the kindness of our great friends, Kate, Heber & Hayden Ashby. Hayden is the little boy that got Caroline to giggle for the very first time ever by singing Neil Diamond's "Forever in Blue Jeans" to her. Kate and I have big plans for the two of them to get married someday and I fully expect Hayden to serenade Caroline with that very same song at their wedding. NO PRESSURE OR ANYTHING, KIDS. Anyway, I'll have more pictures to come of the children's Christmas party, fabulously organized by Caitlyn Chance, but thought you all would enjoy a little preview now.

I, unfortunately, was not able to make it to the party because I became ill Friday afternoon and was hospitalized again. I was having horrendously painful cramping in my abdomen along with hot flashes and fever. The ER doctor ran bloodwork and ordered xrays and then a CTscan. The consulting radiologists in Virginia who read my CT scan said they clearly saw an abscess in my abdomen that needed to be surgically drained. I was set for surgery the next morning. But when my surgeon (the same one who removed my ruptured appendix) came in to perform the surgery, he and the naval hospital's radiologist completely disagreed with the Virgina team. They felt the "abscess" was actually just a loop of my intestines. Regardless of what was going on, my bloodwork revealed that I had a bad infection, so I was put on IV antibiotics for that and pain medicine to control the horrible cramping. By Sunday, I was feeling better and practically begging my surgeon to let me go home. Since the infection was under control and the pain had subsided, he obliged. I'll go back to see him this Friday and we'll schedule some further diagnostic tests to make sure that I am just experiencing post-surgical complications and not harboring an inflammatory intestinal disease. Fingers crossed that it's just post-surgery related and that the worst is behind me now! I'm still getting intermittent cramping but it's not very painful and is similar to what I experienced while healing from both the appendectomy and the intestinal obstruction.

Enough about that... hope you all had a fantastic weekend and maybe even got to meet Santa too!

No comments: