Thursday, July 8, 2010

Father & Daughter

This past Friday we began the holiday festivities by going to the Air Force Base's annual Freedom Festival. Benjamin was able to leave work to join us which was a very special treat! Caroline really enjoyed the time they got to spend together, even if it involved traumatic childhood experiences. (More on that later...)


I've given up on having both of them look at the camera at the same time... :)

All day long, I had told Caroline about the ponies that would be at the festival. She was SO excited about it and all day long I heard "Mama, I ride pony?!" I assured her that she would get to and boy was she excited. But once we arrived at the pony-riding area, I felt a little uneasy. The "pony" looked more like a horse to me, but Caroline was too excited to turn back. The big moment came:


And after that moment, the bubbles arrived. Yep, some bratty kid decided to blow bubbles which drifted into the horse's face. (If you look closely, you can see them blowing in from the left.) The bubbles spooked the horse and he starting bucking like a Bronco. Like a rodeo bronco. It happened so quickly that we barely had time to react. Caroline pressed her body down against the horse and held on for dear life while one of the other horse trainers' grabbed her off. Talk about a scary moment, mostly for Caroline, but for Benjamin and I too!

Caroline didn't cry, but she wasn't happy. The pony people asked if she'd like another ride from a non-spooked horse, but she didn't. She said she wanted to pet the pony though, so we took over to him.


As you can see, she changed her mind. I don't blame her. I'm hoping the experience hasn't scarred her for life! I've been talking up ponies lately in an effort to try to not let that experience leave too much of an impression on her.

After the rodeo incident, Benjamin gave Caroline a pep talk.

Okay, so, the pep talk didn't really work. But the bribing we did to cheer her up by getting her ice cream totally worked. The day was saved! Plus we bought her an awesome bracelet that lifted her spirits, so I think the day was a success overall.

After it was all over, Caroline was exhausted. And so was Dada.

No comments: