Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Lounging at the lab today...

Yesterday I received a call from my doctor letting me know that my numbers for my 1 hour glucose test last week were a little high, so I needed to go on to do the 3 hour glucose test. I of course agreed to do the test, but I was disappointed. And I honestly wonder how accurate my results were. The lab technician who did my first test didn't draw my blood on time, after a full hour. Instead, she took it 10 minutes early. I'm not sure if that affected my results, but since my results were only slightly higher than what they should have been, I'm wondering if those 10 minutes would have made all the difference. But no sense in dwelling on that.

I went in today for the 3 hour glucose screening. I had to fast for 12 hours prior and let me tell you, pregnant women are NOT designed to fast. By the time my lab work got started plus the three and half hours it took in total to do, I had gone a grand total of about 18 hours without food. I had one mad little baby on my hands!

The labwork itself wasn't as awful as I thought it would be. I had blood drawn a total of 5 times over the three and half hour period. My arms are sore and bruising, but I survived! Too bad it's always tropical weather here, so I can't hide my arms! Oh well. I think when most people see a pregnant woman with bruised up arms, they assume it's because of labwork and not heroin addiction, right?

As a side note, I did my labwork on the Air Force base we live on rather than the Naval Hospital where I've been receiving my prenatal care. These Air Force folks have leisure figured out! Instead of the hard bucket-style plastic chairs (which make my hips ache) and blank walls I saw last friday for my bloodwork, the Air Force lab had plush lounge chairs, flat-screen LCD tv's, magazines, etc. It was wonderful! No offense to the Naval hospital because I'm grateful for the care I receive, but I will be trying to do all future labwork here on base!

No comments: