Bright and early this morning (around 6am) Guam started shaking. Benjamin and I were in bed when it started. There was a loud noise and then the vigorous shaking started. Thanks to the times I've lived in California, I knew right away what was going on but Benjamin's never experienced an earthquake. I reached over and put my hand on his arm to see if he was awake because I didn't want him to miss out on the experience. He was awake and we just held hands in bed and enjoyed the earthquake. It didn't last long, but it was an interesting experience. Nothing in the house broke or anything, which was good. Gotta love the cement construction our Guam houses!
It turns out that the earthquake was significant... a 5.4 magnitude! And it was located about 15 miles away from us in the ocean. We seem to be having a little earthquake spell as we just had one earlier this week as well. Benjamin and I were out with friends at dinner and didn't feel that one though which was smaller. We were bummed that we didn't feel it! Especially Benjamin since he's never felt one before.
A couple of hours later, we heard maintenance outside and so did Bentley. He was majorly freaked out and jumped into bed with us which was not cool. We only have a queen size bed and with my pregnant belly, there's not a lot of spare room. I think he was spooked from the earthquake and the maintenance noise pushed him over the edge. We got him off of our bed and back into his own bed on the floor and everyone went back to sleep.
An hour later, we got up for the day (yeah, we slept in) and discovered we had no power. We weren't sure if it was because of the earthquake or not but it was the second time this week we've been without power. (The base power grid blew.) They got everything restored by this afternoon though, so we're in good shape. Living in Guam sure it turning out to be quite the adventure though. :)
Benjamin's completing his last pre-deployment flight right now and should be home in an hour or two. I just got back from an officer spouse club meeting for those of us taking over office. My friend Kristina and I are taking over the hospitality committee (oh how Mrs. Cleaver of us!) so we'll have our hands full with that. Since both of our husbands will be deployed soon, we should have plenty of time!
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Gotta love the power issues! We have electricity outages frequently in Italy too. :)
Post a Comment