After suspecting Caroline was having food allergies, I've been keeping a close eye on how she reacts to what I eat. I don't know specifically what I ate that caused her problems, though I suspect it was dumplings, but things were not good. Long story short... a few hours after nursing, she was vomiting blood, had a swollen eyelid and broke out in a rash on her face, scalp and chest, was inconsolable and very gassy. This was in addition to the mucus-filled green/black diapers she's had lately, which was why I took her to the doctor earlier this week. Anyway, things were not good for Caroline and I decided a trip to the ER was in order.
Shortly after arriving at the ER (and not having to wait at all for her to be seen) she produced a huge poopy diaper which they tested and found blood in. Coupled with the bagged bloody spit up I brought in, the physician took my concerns much more seriously than the doctor we saw earlier this week. He ordered bloodwork, an IV, xrays and a catheter to collect a urine sample.
Turns out Caroline's veins are as non-cooperative as mine... if not moreso! They attempted to insert an IV without luck 12 times. They had even called down a nurse from the baby unit and she had no success either. Next they inserted the catheter but couldn't get any urine. Of course as they took it out, she peed all over them. They were able to get blood from a heel stick but decided to put the iv and catheter on the back burner for the time-being. They took xrays of her abdomen while her bloodwork was being processed and I tried to console my very upset baby. My heart was broken! Watching my baby experience so much pain was just about the hardest thing I've ever experienced. I desperately wished I could trade places with her!
The admitting physician called for a pediatrician and they determined what I suspected all along... food allergies. Severe food allergies at that coupled with reflux! They decided not to torment Caroline with the IV and catheter since she was breastfeeding just fine and her bloodwork was finw. We were sent home with Zantac for her and a strict elimination diet for me.
So far Caroline's been doing much better today, thank goodness. And now the adventure of determining exactly what Caroline is allergic to begins! Well, that part actually begins in a couple of weeks when my elimination diet has had time to regulate Caroline.
As hard of a day as it was for Caroline physically and for me mentally, we made it through it together. And Benjamin's squadron's big boss - the commanding officer - heard we were at the ER and showed up to offer support! Benjamin and I already thought he was amazing for making sure Benjamin could come home for the birth, but wow. He stayed with me for hours making sure I was holding up okay, holding and comforting Caroline, asking the doctor questions I didn't think of. He even stuck around while her RX was being filled, helped me get her into the car and made sure we got home safely. He's a fantastic CO and an awesome person in general. He definitely made me feel like the squadron was looking out for us! And honestly, he helped me get through one of the worst days of my life! I like to think I'm independent and strong, but I really did appreciate his kindness, professionalism and empathy. Good people out here, I'm telling you!
I got home last night, called my mother-in-law to emotionally decompress and then got a phonecall from Benjamin. It was great to hear from him... the perfect ending to a terrible day!
Friday, July 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh that poor little baby! And you too! I'm so sorry to hear it! Hopefully you'll get her allergies figured out soon!
I'll be thinking of you!
Oh, Crystal, I am so sorry. What an awful day. I'm thinking about you guys. Lots of love.
Poor kiddo!!! I am so sorry. Ben's CO sounds wonderful. I am so glad you had someone there to help you. What a blessing.
Awwww the poor little thing! Every mother can empathize, I think it's the absolute worst feeling in the world to see your child in pain and not be able to help. Ben's CO sounds absolutely amazing - there aren't many bosses out there who'd help like that, I'm sure. MJ was on Zantac when he was having reflux problems after going on formula (way back when lol) and ithelped a ton, I hope it works for littel Caroline too! Hang in there!
Post a Comment