Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Happy Thursday, everyone!

Caroline "talking" to me today. :)

Caroline and I are doing well! Caroline is really growing up. She may be a shrimp, but she's developing skills just fine, so that's a good thing. Her new thing is rolling over from her back to her stomach. She did that yesterday - twice - and it surprised me both times. I just didn't expect her to start rolling already.

For the TMI crowd, you should stop reading here! Seriously. So I've had breast pain recently but since I didn't notice anything obviously wrong, I didn't pay much attention to it. I have a pretty high pain tolerance and think I got used to the pain. Well, a couple of days ago, on a trip to the mall with Kristina to find clothes that I can fit my breastfeeding boobs into, I started feeling awful. I just had a terrible body ache like when you have the flu. It got worse as the day went on and when I got home I checked and I had a fever. I had the chills too... in Guam. That's how you know when something is really wrong with you! Then I saw them... the dreaded red streaks on one of my breasts. I knew at that point... Mastitis! Ugh! (It's a breast infection for those of you lucky enough to have no idea what I'm talking about.) I went to the doctor yesterday and she put me on antibiotics to clear up the infection, so hopefully it does the job. The doctor said that if the antibiotics I'm on don't work, she'll have to try something stronger that is not safe for breastfeeding and told me I'd have to switch to formula. I told her that that wasn't really an option for me as my baby is sensitive to milk, corn and possibly soy. Even the least allergenic formula they make is derived from corn, so that one is out! So then she started bringing up surgical options. Let's just all pray that these antibiotics work! This is my second day on them and I can't say that I feel a lot better honestly, though Motrin is helping tremendously. And the red marks are still there but hopefully they'll clear up soon.

I see the doctor who delivered Caroline tomorrow for my post-partum check up. I'm a little bit late with my check up, but oh well. It works out well this way because he can check my mastitis and see if I seem to be improving. I have another follow up on Monday, Caroline's two month appointment on Tuesday and an OB/Gyn appointment for me next Thursday. That's a LOT of doctor's appointments, huh? So don't you worry about me, I'll be in great hands!

Being sick has been an interesting experience for me because this is the first time I haven't been able to be selfish. I'm responsible for Caroline and she doesn't understand that I don't feel well, so life goes on as normal. I was so weak yesterday that I could barely carry her in her carseat at one point. It was terrible! Just another one of the joys of single parenting! While I miss the days when I could just curl up into a ball when I was sick and forget about the world, I much prefer being a sick single mom!

Caroline has been sleeping through the night! I was hesitant to say anything thus far thinking it was just a fluke, but we've had about a week of solid 6 hours of sleep at night. It's amazing! And wonderful! If I weren't doing the single-parenting thing, I might consider waking her to feed her, but that sleep keeps me alive! And she nurses a ton during the day and evening, so I think it's okay that we're sleeping at night. If you think otherwise, please don't tell me because both Caroline and I are so happy.

I've been taking an herbal supplement - Fenugreek - to help boost my milk supply. I don't even know that my milk supply is necessarily problematic but given Caroline's low weight gain over the past 6 weeks, I've decided it's worth trying. She nurses plenty... 1,749 minutes per week. So I thought maybe her lack of weight gain was due to my milk supply. Maybe that's why she nurses so much... she's trying to get more milk. Anyway, Fenugreek is what they use to flavor artificial maple syrup. I had read that taking it will make your sweat and urine smell like maple syrup. And boy... that's totally correct. I've been smelling like Mrs. Butterworth for a couple of days now. The sad part is that it's made me totally crave waffles and pancakes which I obviously can't have. It's a cruel world, folks.

That's about it from home. I hope everyone is well. And I apologize to those that have called recently. Since I've felt like dirt, I just haven't been up to talking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing! If it's not one thing, it's another. I hope the mastitis clears up quickly and that the Fenugreek helps. I've been taking Fenugreek for nearly 10 months now but I've never achieved the maple smell - and I take 12 pills a day! I also read that taking Blessed Thistle along with the Fenugreek can help even more, so I take both.

wee4peters said...

Oh boy, Fenugreek! I remember that. There is also a drug called Domperidone. A bunch of my friends purchased it online (I have a box if you want to try it out) -- I never used it but had it on hand in case my milk supply tanked. Research it & ask your doctor or LLL'er about it. Many doctors give the okay but it's not available here in the US so you have to purchase it online. Hugs -- hope the mastitis clears up soon!

mestreen said...

My niece Claire was sleeping through the night by 6 weeks. My sister was afraid not to wake her to eat, too, but she thrived and they both got a lot of sleep! Enjoy it and don't worry- she's eats enough in the daytime! :)