Well, it's official... BGG is full term! That's not to say she's ready to come out though. She's still putting on weight and finishing developing. But if she were born today, she'd likely be just fine without medical intervention. I can definitely tell that she must be feeling cramped. Her movements are just as frequent as before, but they are much slower and her range of motion seems limited.
As I'm sure you've all heard, there was a horrible cyclone off the coast of Myanmar (also known as Burma) this past week. The death toll is feared to be 100,000 lives, if not more. Benjamin's ship (the USS Essex) happened to be in that part of the world during all of this and they have now received orders to head directly to Myanmar. They will be providing humanitarian assistance and disaster relief. For the pilots, this likely means that they will have the task of getting supplies (food, water, medicine, etc) to the victims as well as providing medical evacuation and other assistance as needed. This of course is contingent upon the government of Myanmar allowing this aid, which is so desperately needed right now by the people.
Because of this latest change in events, we're uncertain if Benjamin will be able to come home to meet Baby Girl Geib at all until post-deployment, but let's all please keep our fingers crossed. I'm so proud of Benjamin and I know BGG will be too. He is so excited and honored to be in a position to provide real help. I think it's absolutely tremendous that his direct efforts will go towards truly making a difference in the world and in these peoples' lives. I'm proud of Benjamin and every man and woman he's serving with... they are truly great folks.
Also, if you happen to see footage on the news of a helicopter landing on the USS Essex, that is Benjamin and a fellow pilot flying it! They were filmed doing that and the footage was just released to the media, particularly NBC.
Benjamin wanted me to say hello to everyone and let you all know that even though he doesn't have time to write, he's always thinking about you all. He's very busy and will only get busier (if that's even possible) the next few weeks.
We had an earthquake here in Guam this morning. It was roughly a 6.7 magnitude quake, but was centered approximately 125 miles away, so it wasn't such a big deal. The 5.4 magnitude quake we had last month was much more powerful since we were within 5 miles of the epicenter.
I'm planning on spending the rest of my weekend getting my hospital bag packed and working on the nursery. Hopefully I'll finish that this week and can get pictures put up.
No comments:
Post a Comment